Roma Logo
Translate ROMABIO Paints Website
EnglishFrenchGermanItalianSpanish
ENGLISH
FRENCH
GERMAN
ITALIAN
SPANISH

FAQs

How To Order

How do I get the products?

You can order products by calling our global headquarters in the U.S. at 678-905-3700.

Where can I find detailed product information for application and technical data?

All information on usage and direction for application is available on the product’s Technical Data Sheet (TDS) in our Products section of our website. Do not apply or use the product without first reading the instructions in detail as provided in the TDS.

What is your return policy?

ROMABIO will accept return of any unused and non-colored (not tinted) products with a 15% restocking fee.

Product Details

What is in your interior/exterior paints?

Our interior/exterior paints are usually comprised of:

• Potassium Silicate
• Inert Binders (4 – 18% depending on product)
• Natural Thickeners
• Earth Oxide Pigments (if colored)

What is NOT in your interior/exterior paints?

The list of what’s not included is much more extensive but since we strive to only use the cleanest ingredients these are some that are not included:
• Acrylic Resins
• Toxic Binders
• Solvents
• VOCs and TVOCs

Why do I have to add water to dilute the product?

If we added water at point of manufacturing prior to shipping, we would have to add many stabilizers (mostly toxic like other paint manufactures) to increase shelf life. By having the customer dilute the product at the job site, this allows for reduced carbon footprint as well as a cleaner product.

Why do other paint manufacturers say they are organic, toxin-free, or environmentally friendly even if they are acrylic based?

These terms are not regulated in the paint and coatings industry. Zero VOC is the only term regulated and it can be misleading because of the VOC chemicals that are exempt, as well as the testing methods for the regulation still allows for some VOC.

What’s the difference between ROMABIO categories of Organic, Eco-Sustainable & Environmental Low Impact Products?

This is ROMABIO product classification system to give you a guideline of how much the product is made up of natural or added inert binders.

Organic – Paints and plaster​s labeled with BIO means category Organic, containing at least 90% natural raw materials, and the other 10% of product composed of inert binders and non-toxic chemicals.

Eco-Sustainable – Paints and plasters labeled with ECO means category Eco-Sustainable, containing at least 75% natural raw materials, and the other 25% of product is composed of inert binders and non-toxic chemicals.

Environmental Low Impact – Varnishes, stains, enamels, and specialty products​ ​are​ categorized into Environmental Low Impact, containing less than 75% natural raw materials, composed of inert binders, non-toxic chemicals, and could contain ​resin binders.

VOC

What is Zero VOC paint?

A paint labeled with Zero VOC in the U.S. cannot exceed more than 5 g/L of outdoor VOCs per liter of the VOCs regulated by the EPA Test Method 24.

What is a low VOC paint?

A paint labeled low VOC in the U.S. cannot have more than 250 g/L of outdoor VOCs per liter of the VOCs regulated by the EPA Test Method 24

What is a VOC in regards to the regulation of low and Zero VOC in paints?

The term “VOC” is often used in a precise regulatory context, and its definition is defined by laws. The definition in the U.S. was developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to regulate outdoor air and help reduce outdoor pollution due to its affects on global warming. Essentially, the EPA developed a test called the Test Method 24 which determines which VOCs are included in a low or zero VOC emissions in regards to paint and coatings industry. These VOCs are high weight molecular compounds that are defined in terms of photochemical reactivity or ability to form ozone (or smog pre-cursors) and not toxicity.

Are there other VOCs not included in the regulation that may be adverse to your health?

Yes, certain VOCs are exempt from U.S. regulation because they are not photochemically reactive or smog pre-cursors. The EPA has established a general definition of a VOC that is very broad and it states that “any volatile compound of carbon” is classified as a VOC for regulatory purposes, unless it appears on a list of compounds that have been specifically exempted. For example, acetone and ammonia are both volatile and are both organic compounds. They are typically used as solvents in paints. However, if you read the MSDS for the paint you will not find them listed.  Another example is methylene chloride and 1,1,1-trichloroethane are not considered photochemically reactive, so they are exempt.  But they are associated with adverse health effects.

What about Formaldehyde? Is it safe?

No it is not safe, “in 2011, the U.S. National Toxicology Program described formaldehyde as “known to be a human carcinogen” as stated from Wikipedia.

What are the worse chemical offenders that are TVOCs?

This is a complicated issue because there are many ways to look at the impact of a chemical. There is currently no singularity authority in place that will assess the most hazardous or health threatening chemicals. However, some resources will help paint a picture of which chemicals are big offenders. They include:

1). http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/spl/

2). http://www.c2ccertified.org/resources/detail/cradle-to-cradle-certified-banned-list-of-chemicals

What is the EPA Test Method 24?

The EPA Test Method 24 is a collection of ASTM test methods that collectively define the VOC content of a coating formulation as defined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Except the exempt list of compounds or other VOCs, any compound that is “picked up” by these test methods is considered a VOC for regulatory purposes.

Which chemicals are exempt from the VOC regulation?

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close