“I have nothing against natural brick. I think it’s beautiful. But I am a sucker for that European limewashed brick.” – Lauren, @blesserhouse
Have you always dreamed of a gorgeous, authentic lime washed house? A charming Old World feel, but with a freshly painted look.
With Romabio Classico Limewash you can update your home while still keeping the warmth of the brick. The best part is, it’s removable so there’s no stress when deciding the color or look that you want.
Here are the 3 easy steps to get this look for your exterior or interior brick or stone.
1. Prep and dampen your surface.
- Prep by cleaning the brick or stone and cover any areas that will not be painted.
- Dampen the surface with water allowing Classico Limewash to slowly absorb without drying too quickly. The wall should be wet, but not dripping.
- Exterior: Use a typical garden hose spray nozzle or a pressure washer. If it is hot and in direct sunlight, keep the wall damp. Work one wall at a time to keep damp as necessary.
- Interior: Use a water spray bottle. Get our Fireplace Kit with paint, brush, and instructions.
2. Paint one coat of Classico Limewash.
- Prior to application, you must dilute Classico Limewash with water between 50% – 100%.
- It is best to add less water and mix thoroughly until there is no standing water on top.
- Apply Classico Limewash with the Romabio Large Masonry Brush (recommended for Exterior and large walls) or Small Masonry Brush (perfect for fireplaces), or a standard paint sprayer.
- One coat is needed to create an antique, distressed limewash effect.
- As the paint begins to dry it may look semi-transparent and darker than you expected.
3. Wash off and distress.
- Start wash off process once the paint is starting to dry, but not wet to touch. Typically, between 10 and 60 minutes, depending on temperature and sunlight.
- This is the fun part…..wash off as much or as little of Classico Limewash as you want.
- And remember, because it’s removable there’s no stress! Play with it to get the look you want and touch up at any time because it is a flat finish.
- Exterior: Use a spray burst or a continuous water flow and it will simply wash off onto the ground.
- Interior: Use a spray water bottle and rags. Use towels or plastic on the floor so it will not get wet.
Helpful Tip: If your house is a one-story brick ranch or you have an interior fireplace, then it’s perfect for DIY. If you have 2 or 3 stories, then a PRO might be better. Fill out this form and we can get you in contact with one in your area.
And because it’s organic, authentic slaked-lime it won’t harm your lawn, plants or trees.
Classico Limewash is non-toxic and will not hurt your yard. As you are washing it off, you can simply let it soak into the ground. If you get any paint on your windows, sills or other areas, use a rag or clean paint brush and clean water to wipe it off. For more stubborn paint residuals, use white vinegar and a rag then rinse off with clean water.
It continues to patina giving you the Old World European look.
It’s made to last and patinas very slowly over time depending on the exposure to weather. This ancient process that we have carefully formulated with modern technology gives you a low-maintenance, beautiful finish that will not fade, peel or flake off. If you want your finish to last longer, then get our protective coating Mineral Sheild.